For the first time ever in my life I waited until the last minute to do my taxes.
Thankfully, I was able to file electronically via turbo tax, but that didn’t come with a little bit of a headache.
To help you avoid some of the stress that comes with last minute filing, apply these five tips to your tax filing process.
- Give yourself time – Even though the tax deadline is almost here, you need to make sure you’re not rushing through everything. Filing taxes is tedious task, and you want to make sure you exhaust every opportunity to put money back in your pocket.
- Weigh Your Options- Even though the tax deadline is approaching, you still have a number of affordable options. You can do it yourself, you can download various programs like turbo tax to help, you can ask a friend to help out, or you can go to H&R Block or other tax preparation agencies.
- Compile all your documents – I moved this year, so I forgot that I needed all my moving receipts. Compile all the documents you may need to do your taxes so you don’t have to set up multiple online sessions with your computer or visits with your tax preparer or to hunt things down.
- Relax – At first it may look like you owe a ton, but filing taxes is a process. Wait until you have incorporated all your deductions and credits to see if you still owe. Then if you still owe the government, freak out.
- Plan your vacation – You deserve it, and this whole process probably stressed you out, so use some of the refund money to take a moment for yourself.