If you play frequently, you know it’s harder than ever to win but there’s actually a few ways to increase your odds. But before you know the ways to improve your odds of winning, here’s what your going up against.
You have better odds of:
- Becoming a Hollywood star (1 in 1.5 million)
- Being struck by lightning in a given one year period (1 in 1 million)
- Being attacked by a shark (1 in 11.5 million)
- Becoming President of the United States (1 in 10 million)
- Dying by an asteroid (1 in 18,000)
- Being killed by a venomous animal or plant (1 in 3.4 million)
Scott A. Norris, an assistant professor of mathematics at Southern Methodist University says there’s no trick to winning. However if you wanted to make your odds better, just let the computer choose randomly for you.
Another helpful tip is to purchase more than one ticket. If you have a 1 in 292.2 million chance of winning with one ticket, you will have 10 times the odd with 10 tickets.
If you wanted to actually buy all possible number combinations, it would be VERY pricey; that strategy would cost you $584 million.