The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1st-November 31st every year, and despite some years being less active than others, you should always be prepared. There are a few things you should always have on hand in order to survive the storm.
Hurricane Preparedness Kit
This kit should be freshened and checked every year and throughout hurricane season. This kit should include items that you would need should you lose power or find yourself trapped in your home. The American Red Cross suggests you include the following items in your kit:
- Water—one gallon per person, per day (3day supply for evacuation, 2week supply for home)
- Food—nonperishable, easy to prepare items (3day supply for evacuation, 2week supply for home)
- Battery powered or hand crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7day supply) and medical items
- Multipurpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
It is also a good idea to have an evacuation plan and know the routes you would need to take should you be told to evacuate the area. Be aware if you live in an evacuation zone or flood prone area. If you live along the coast, storm surge could pose a major risk to your safety as well as inhibit rescue once the storm begins.
Many bridges and causeways close after the winds reach a certain velocity, so if you’re told to evacuate it is highly advised to do so as emergency vehicles may not be dispatched during the height of the storm.
Take seriously the lesson Hurricane Andrew and Katrina taught many people: don’t ride out the storm if you’re told to evacuate. There are plenty of storm shelters that open during a storm and certain shelters house special needs evacuees.
Have the phone numbers of emergency officials handy. We have compiled a list below: