5 Seconds of Summer are enjoying much more than just five seconds in the spotlight THIS summer.
The Australian punk/pop band consisting of Luke Hemmings, Michael Clifford, Calum Hood and Ashton Irwin are laying their claim on the United States this summer as the opening act for the One Direction stadium tour. They’re also enjoying great success with the recent release of their self-titled debut album, and the song that put American Apparel underwear on the tip of everyone’s tongue, “She Looks So Perfect.”
5SOS recently checked in with Jill Bucco via phone. After establishing that the interview was going to be epic because of the amount of caffeine running through everyone’s veins…the guys of 5 Seconds of Summer elaborated on how they became a band.
“We pretty much started on YouTube. Luke started posting covers when he was 14 or 15 and Michael was like, ‘Hey man, I like your covers, let’s start a band.'”
Prior to the interview, tweets were sent out asking listeners to give us questions to ask the guys. Jessica from Ocala asked, “What do the guys do in their spare time when they’re not touring?”
“Sleep, eat, repeat,” the guys said. “We’ve been working on making an album in between dates, and now that the album is out, between touring you have to do promo for the album and stuff like that.”
Katy from Apopka wanted to know the last songs the guys had downloaded on their phones. After a quick check of the phones, Calum and Michael came back with Story of the Year and Daughtry, respectively.
Known for his dyed hair, Christina wanted to know about Michael’s green hair (seen in the photo above). “I was just feeling greeny, and I was like, green sounds like a good color today, so I went green. And now I have purple hair…because I like purple.”
Be sure to check out 5 Seconds of Summer when they come to the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, along with One Direction, on Friday, October 3rd.
The Latest From 101.9 AMP Radio
- Zedd & Kesha Drop Dr. Luke Approved ‘True Colors’
- Drake Drops ‘Views’, Hints at New Music this Summer
- Authorized Whitney Houston Documentary Underway
- Kanye West Made Aziz Ansari’s ‘Famous’ Spoof the Song’s Official Video
- Let Black Thought and the Roots Explain ‘Game of Thrones’ to You
- Calvin Harris Announces New Single ‘This Is What You Came For’ Ft. Rihanna
- DJ Khaled, Chance the Rapper Tease Collaboration
- Selena Gomez Joins Share-a-Coke Campaign
- Beyoncé Honors Prince, Dedicates ‘Halo’ to Jay-Z at ‘Formation’ Tour Opener
- Beyoncé Kicks off Formation Tour in Miami: See the Best Instagrams