Most people think the worst thing caffeine can do is keep you awake too long or give you a headache if you don’t get enough. But here are five effects of having too much caffeine that are a lot nastier.
1. It can cause depression– Surprising, because caffeine is a stimulant. But some studies have shown that taking depressed people off caffeine and sugar causes them to experience better moods.
2. Gastritis- That’s when the lining of your stomach gets inflamed and caffeine increases the production of stomach acid, which can lead to it.
3. Infertility- Drinking as little as one cup of coffee a day can delay conception in women trying to get pregnant. More than that can lead to serious conditions like fallopian tubal disease and endometriosis.
4. Osteoporosis- Caffeine makes you pee more, which causes your body to lose more calcium and that can make your bones brittle. One study found that women who drank more coffee were also more likely to have a hip fracture at some point.
5. Premenstrual syndrome- Caffeine can increase both the risk and the severity of PMS.
You can check out the full article from Yahoo! Shine here.
– Jay Edwards/MIX 105.1–