Mean Jean’s Top 10 Songs Of 2013
I’m finishing up my look at the biggest moments and songs of 2013 with my top 10 Songs of 2013.
DISCLAIMER: This is MY top 10 , not yours and not 102 JAMZ. As always with my top 10 lists feel free to let me know what you think about my list and/or tell me yours in the comments section or on Twitter: @itsMeanJean. Obviously 2013 had many HITS so there’s no way my list will look anything like yours, but I do want to hear yours! Now that that’s out of the way, lets get on with this! Before we get to the Top 10, I’d like to give honorable mention to the biggest single of Katy Perry‘s career, “Roar,” and the most interesting EDM track I’ve heard (so far) “Wake Me Up,” by Avicii.
10. “Royals” — Lorde
When I first heard this song, I liked it a lot. I won’t lie though I thought it was just another artist who would have a little bit of success but eventually just fade into the background. Then I found out that it was by a 16 year old girl from New Zealand, and was even more impressed. This song is actually about something, which is rare these days. Four Grammy nominations later it seems like Lorde is for real!
9. “Holy Grail” — Jay Z (ft. Justin Timberlake)
I have to be honest, but as a fan of both of these guys music I was pretty disappointed by their efforts this year. I will say though, that this was the bright spot for both men (in my opinion). The fact that the first hook is about a minute and a half long is crazy in itself. I did appreciate this song much more when I realized that they were both talking about fame. I thought JT was singing about love… Silly me.
8. “Hold On, We’re Going Home” — Drake
Let me preface this by saying that I am not the biggest Drake fan, so his inclusion on this list will come as a surprise to many. But as big of a Drizzy hater I am, I can’t deny that this is a great song.
7. “Same Love” — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (ft. Mary Lambert)
If this wasn’t the ballsiest (is that even a real word) song of 2013 I’d love to see what you think is. This song tackled a subject that most people, let alone rappers would touch and went at it head on. That takes balls!
6. “Gorilla” — Bruno Mars
Bruno Mars is a pop STAR! He had one of the biggest songs of 2012 with “Locked Outta Heaven,” and had many top hits during 2013. This song though is legitimately my second favorite song by him.
5. “Blurred Lines” — Robin Thicke (ft. T.I. & Pharrell)
It’s crazy how a things could change in just the course of a few months. When Justin Timberlake returned to music a lot of people said he sounded like “Justin Thicke,” saying that he stepped into Robin Thicke‘s lane with the sound of the 20/20 Experience. So what did Thicke do? He went ultra pop and not only had the biggest hit of his career, but arguably the biggest song of 2013.
4. “Radioactive” — Imagine Dragons
I didn’t even know what an Imagine Dragon was when listeners started requesting it a few months ago, when I finally did hear the song man oh man. It was such a unique song, unlike all of the more bouncy upbeat music that was out. Last weekend I watched a show where they made their album and heard more of their story. Big time impressed with these Sin City guys!
3. “We Can’t Stop” — Miley Cyrus
Miley, Miley, Miley what a year she had, people couldn’t stop talking about her and it all started with this drug fueled hit that made everyone forget what a Hannah Montana was. She wanted to shed that bubble gum image and this song definitely did that. Her songs were hits though, so you can’t deny that she did something right.
2. “Get Lucky” — Daft Punk — (ft. Pharrell)
Pharrell makes his second stop on this top 10 list, and I couldn’t be happier about that. I am a huge fan of Skateboard P and The Neptunes as a production team, so I welcome hearing him on my radio. This song feels like something that would be meant for Michael Jackson, great song and a great return for not only Williams but Daft Punk as well.
my number one song of 2013… Drum Roll please:
1. “Just Give Me a Reason” — P!nk (ft. Nate Ruess)
I am an 80s baby, and this song sounds like it was plucked right out of 1988 somewhere. Nate Ruess blast onto the scene with fun. last year and this song cemented that he isn’t going anywhere for quite some time. P!nk is an amazing artist because she takes risks and does whatever she wants. This is a classic breakup song and everything about it just worked so well. This was without a doubt my favorite song that played on JAMZ this year.
How did I do? Hit the comments and let me know what were some of your favorites of 2013! Hope you have a Happy (and safe) New Year!
Follow Mean Jean on Twitter: @itsMeanJean
What’s new on 1019?
- Watch Kiesza Dance with Her Clothes in ‘No Enemiesz’ Video
- Watch Drake YOLO It Up, Do the Shmoney Dance at a Dave & Buster’s
- Watch Iggy Azalea’s ‘SNL’ Promo with Jim Carrey
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- YG Jumps On Remix of Fergie’s ‘L.A. Love (La La)': Listen
- Iggy Azalea Releases ‘Beg For it,’ Featuring MØ: Listen
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Score A Pair Of Tickets To See Usher Live At The Amway Center On December 12th!
- Listen To Dustin Every Morning To Win Your Tickets To The Electric Daisy Carnival!
- Monica Lewinsky Thanks All the Artists Like Nicki Minaj & Eminem Who Name-Dropped Her in Their Songs: Watch