Mean Jean’s Top 10 Collaborations Of 2013
We saw some pretty cool, and unexpected collaborations in 2013, from Lady Gaga collaborating with not only R. Kelly but Twista and T.I., to Katy Perry and Juicy J, to Jay Z and Justin Timberlake finally hooking up for three songs it was an interesting, but very good year for collaborations. As always remember these are MY top 10 collabs, not yours or 102 JAMZ, but I do want to know what your favorite collab of 2013 is so feel free to tweet me @itsMeanJean and let me know!
10. “The Way” — Ariana Grande (ft. Mac Miller)
My oh my, what a voice! I wasn’t familiar with Ariana Grande since I haven’t watched Nick since I was in the eighth grade, but this little girl (she’s actually 20) can sing her ass off. If your song is ever thought to be a Mariah Carey song you’re doing something right. You add a couple Mac Miller verses and you’ve not only got a hit, but a pretty damn cool collaboration.
9. “Stay” — Rihanna (ft. Mikky Ekko)
8. #Beautiful — Mariah Carey (ft. Miguel)
I believe that this was one of the forgotten songs of 2013, but yes it was released this year. Miguel brought out a different side of Mariah, and different is good.
7. “Suit & Tie” — Justin Timberlake (ft. Jay Z)
2013 was the year that we finally got not just one but three Jay Z and JT collaborations. A lot of people weren’t feeling this song when it was released, but I think it was more because of the intro than anything else. The song was a hit (as expected considering the players involved), and was one of the biggest songs of 2013. Also, this is not the last time you’ll see these two on this list.
6. “Do What U Want” — Lady Gaga (ft. R. Kelly)
Had this song been released earlier in the year it might have been higher on the list, but this is a great song. For anyone who thought that Lady Gaga couldn’t sing and was all gimmick, point them to this song and have them re-evaluate that position.
5. “The Monster” — Eminem (ft. Rihanna)
Is there any other singer/rapper combination that’s more money than Eminem and Rihanna? I think there might be one, but more on that later. They came together again for another SMASH single, one of the bright spots from the Marshall Mathers LP 2.
4. “Holy Grail” — Jay Z (ft. Justin Timberlake)
In my opinion both Justin Timberlake and Jay Z’s new albums were a bit disappointing, but the songs that they did together were money. It took me weeks to realize that the two were in fact on the same topic, fame. As opposed to JT singing about love and Jay rapping about fame. I’m sorry, I’m slow sometimes.
3. “Power Trip” — J. Cole (ft. Miguel)
Remember me talking about a more money singer/rapper combination I think this one might be it. I became aware of both artists at the same time on Miguel’s debut single “All I Want,” which was a great song. The two came together for another smash, the first single from J. Cole‘s Born Sinner album.
2. “Just Give Me a Reason” — P!nk (ft. Nate Ruess)
Man oh man, this song will go down as a classic break up song, and feels like something straight out of the 80s as far as it’s lyrical content. Nate Ruess‘ voice is so unique and gelled so well with P!nk on this one. I have already stated, before Grammy nominations were handed out that this would win Song of the Year, and I stand by that position. SPOILER ALERT: highlight —-> This is my favorite single of 2013:
1. “Blurred Lines” — Robin Thicke (ft. T.I & Pharrell)
Is there any doubt that this is the biggest song of 2013? I saw Robin Thicke perform this on The Voice, and was a bit iffy on it, the next day I heard it on air for the first time and I was hooked. This was one of my favorite songs of 2013, and even though it was EVERYWHERE I never got sick of hearing it. You know that was a jam, and I don’t think any other combination of artists would have been able to pull it off like they did. Also hearing Pharrell on the radio is always a good thing!
What did I miss? Or what would you move around? Hit the comments and let me know!
Follow Mean Jean on Twitter: @itsMeanJean
What’s new on 1019?
- Watch the ’50 Shades of Grey’ Trailer: the ‘Turn Down for What’ Edition
- Stream Tomorrowland EDM Fest’s Second Weekend Live in Belgium All Weekend
- Kesha Once Broke Into Prince’s House to Drop Off Her Album
- T.I., Fall Out Boy & London Grammar Performed ‘Live Your Life’ Together on ‘SoundClash’ and It Totally Worked
- Lil Wayne Signs Cristiano Ronaldo, Is Now a Sports Agent
- M.I.A. Drops New Song, ‘Gold’
- Watch Ex-Porn Star Sasha Grey DJ Mexico City’s Electric Colors Festival
- Amy Winehouse the Subject of New Comic Book
- Listen To Dustin And Score Your Tickets To See R5 At The Hard Rock Live!