6 Tips For Bringing A Date To Thanksgiving
If you’re bringing someone home for Thanksgiving for the first time, things can get awkward quickly. Here are six tips for how to get through it as painlessly as possible.
Here are 6 tips for bringing a date to Thanksgiving from Link4Love:
1. Communicate- Tell your boyfriend or girlfriend ahead of time how everyone your family is going to react. Like, if you know your grandfather is going to say something inappropriate, it’ll make it less awkward if they know that going in.
2. Discuss Any Topics That Are Off-Limits- Obviously it’s good to avoid politics and religion. But if there are any other hot-button issues, let them know before they put their foot in their mouth.
3. Get on the Same Page- Especially with your “how we met” story. If you told your mom you met at a museum when you really met at a bar, your date should know.
4. Bring Something- If you’re not cooking dinner, bring a bottle of wine or a dessert. It’ll give your family something to focus on and it’ll help break the ice.
5. Don’t Apologize- Don’t apologize to your date about your crazy family or to your family for your date. They’re part of who you are and everyone should respect that.
6. Relax- Spending holidays with each others families can be stressful, so the best thing both of you can do is relax. If you’re nervous, you’re just going to make everyone else nervous and that’s when things get really awkward.