“I was like, I don’t think I know how to get a day job, all I’ve ever done was music,” McKee said when speaking of her initial struggles. “I just kind of threw myself into that. I got a publishing deal with Pulse recordings. They were kind of like my saving glory and brought me back in, put me in the right rooms and eventually ended up working with Katy [Perry] and Dr. Luke. It was a long gradual process. It definitely wasn’t overnight.”
Katy Perry released her new single “Roar”, which McKee helped write, a few weeks ago and it’s already #1 on the iTunes chart. Nevertheless, the single has received a lot of criticism for sounding similar to Sara Bareielles‘ current hit “Brave.”
“A friend called me and told me and I had never actually heard the song,” McKee confided. “People also forget that we didn’t write it yesterday. You know, the song was written months ago, before ‘Brave’ ever came out. There are only so many notes in an octave to work with, it’s gonna happen… things are going to sound similar. But it was definitely just a coincidence.”
- Listen To Win A Pair Of Tickets To The Hot Tea Pool Party!
- Play Battle Of The Hoods To Win Tickets And Backstage Passes To Meet Lil Dicky
- Listen To Win A Pair Of Tickets And Backstage Passes To Meet Lil Dicky
- Listen To Win Tickets To SeaWorld’s Viva La Musica
- Listen To Win Tickets To Seaworld’s Viva La Musica