The Oklahoma Tornado: How Can You Help?
Yesterday afternoon, at 2:56 P.M. CT, a tornado touched down in Moore, Oklahoma, a city just south of Oklahoma City. This was not a normal tornado. This tornado was two miles wide and its winds were up to 200 miles-per-hour. It was on the ground for 12 miles in distance, destroying every building in its path, including an elementary school with children inside.
As of the latest reports, 91 people are dead, including at least 20 children and 100+ people are in the hospital.
So, the question people are asking is, “How can I help?” It’s very quick and very easy. Simply text redcross to 90999 and a $10 donation will be made to the Red Cross and will show up on your next cell phone bill.
You can also donate to the Red Cross online by clicking here or by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS.
Before donating, always be sure to follow the “3 C’s”:
CASH – Financial gifts are the best way to immediately help survivors. Donate to an established relief organization. For a complete list of established relief organizations, visit: www.nvoad.org/members.
CONFIRM – A community hit by disaster does not have the time, staffing or money to dispose of unneeded donations. Confirm any and all donations are needed before sending.
CONNECT – Volunteers are a critical part of disaster response and recovery, but it is important to get connected to an established relief organization before traveling to impacted areas to help.
If you have a family member or friend in the area where the tornado hit and you haven’t been able to contact them, you can check on their safety through the Red Cross Safe & Well Site here.
-Jay Edwards/ MIX 105.1-
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- There’s All Kinds of Color in Gwen Stefani’s Video for ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Watch
- ‘South Park’ Releasing Kanye West ‘Hobbit’ Spoof for Record Store Day
- UNICEF Using Music to Educate Liberia About Ebola with ‘Ebola is Real': Listen
- Kevin Hart Pokes Fun at Drake’s Air Ball, Drake Fires Back
- Wiz Khalifa Release Interactive Video for ‘Stayin Out All Night': Watch
- [PHOTOS] Renee Zellweger’s New Face???
- Taylor Swift is Your Tour Guide in ‘Welcome to New York’
- Watch Taylor Swift’s Visit with the Naked Chef, ‘Shake It Off’ Parody ‘Bake It Off’
- Lorde Tags Chemical Brothers, Miguel for ‘Hunger Games’ Song ‘This is Not a Game': Listen
- [PHOTOS] 101.9 AMP Radio Enjoys The Taste Of Maitland