Shakira had some big shoes to fill last night stepping into Christina Aguilera‘s chair as the lone female coach on The Voice. And even though she may not have been the go-to choice for those contestants who were able to handpick their own mentor, she definitely held her own with big boys Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, and fellow newbie Usher.
But how much do you really know about the “Hips Don’t Lie” singer? Here are 20 quick facts about Shakira that may just make you love her even more.
1. The full name of the Colombian singer is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll.
2. The name Shakira is taken from the Arabic word for “thankful.”
3. She recorded her very first album when she was only 13.
4. Shakira speaks three languages: Spanish, Portuguese and English (and also some Italian, French and Catalan).
5. Shakira and her baby daddy, soccer stud Gerard Pique, share the same birthday, February 2nd.
6. Cradle robber Shakira is exactly 10 years OLDER than Gerard. Shakira is 36, Gerard 26.
7. The couple celebrated their recent pregnancy as a benefit for UNICEF.
— Shakira (@shakira) January 16, 2013
8. Shakira and Gerard welcomed baby boy Milan to the world on January 22nd of this year.
9. Shakira has her own charity, the Barefoot Foundation, whose mission is to make education universally available to every child.
10. Shakira was invited to The White House by President Obama in 2010 to discuss early childhood development and in 2011 was appointed as a member of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
11. Shakira’s a smart cookie. Her reported IQ is said to be 140 (the average is 100).
12. Shakira is 5′ 2″, while Pique is 6′ 4″.
13. Sony maintains that Shakira is the biggest selling Colombian artist of all time, with sales between 50 to 60 million albums.
14. Shakira received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2011.
15. In 2012, Shakira was presented with the prestigious award for Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Order of Arts and Letters) in France.
16. She has made appearances on Ugly Betty and Wizards of Waverly Place, both times playing herself.
17. To date, Shakira has won 4 American Music Awards, 6 Billboard Music Awards, 2 GRAMMY Awards, 8 Latin GRAMMY Awards, and 5 MTV Video Music Awards.
18. “Hips Don’t Lie” is one of the biggest hits of the 21st Century so far.
19. Shakira met Gerard Pique in 2010 when he appeared in her video for “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa),” the official song of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
20. Shakira officially announced her relationship with Gerard via Twitter with a photo of the couple and the line “Les presento a mi sol (I present to you my sunshine).”