In a preview from the article, Brandy takes on the controversy that follows Ray J, calling on critics to back off.
“I know who he is,” she said. “And I’m pissed off about some of the things I’ve been hearing. It really bothers me that [those are] the kind of things that people do for money.”
She chalked up the Kim Kardashian sex tape and other Ray J-related stories to people getting the wrong idea about him.
“He’s misunderstood,” she continued. “This is a man who loves his mama and his sister and his niece. Ray J loved Kim Kardashian. They were irresponsible with their-you know-but he loved her. For five years, he was with her. In his mind and in the world’s mind, he was in my shadow for such a long time… To finally break out of it, you’re going to brag; you’re going to feel something about yourself. It’s not coming from a bad place, and I can tell you: Some of the shoes Ray J’s walking in, you’d take off immediately. You wouldn’t be able to handle the type of shoes he’s in.”
On the romance front, Brandy admitted that she was growing impatient waiting for her man to put a ring on it.
“I wish we were engaged,” Brandy said. “He’s taking a little long on the ring side of things, but I’m patient. I wanted to impress him. I wanted him to be proud of me; I was inspired by him. So making the record and his being there, it’s just all a part of it. Him and my daughter. I want him to love my songs. I want him to love my voice.”
The cover picks up on the momentum Brandy and Monica have built with their joint single, “It All Belongs To Me,” which dropped earlier this year. In March the two Perfomed the song, as well as “The Boy is Mine,” their 1998 smash.
Check out Brandy and Monica on the cover here.
–E. Parker, CBS Local
See what’s up on JAMZ!
- Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, More Announced as GRAMMY Presenters
- Listen to Gwen Stefani’s New Single ‘Make Me Like You’
- Listen For Back-To-Back Beyoncé To Win Tickets To The Formation World Tour
- Kanye West’s MSG Event Redefines Record Release Shows and Fashion Shows
- Jason Derulo Gets ‘Naked’ in New Video with K. Michelle
- Puppy Monkey Baby Gets a Remix
- Hailey Baldwin Clarifies Relationship with Justin Bieber
- Meghan Trainor Debuts New Hair Color
- Justin Bieber and Skrillex’s ‘Where Are U Now?” – Behind the Song
- Kanye West Reveals ‘The Life of Pablo’ Album Cover