Adele Beats Michael Jackson on the UK Charts
With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- [PHOTOS] 101.9 AMP Radio With The Rock Hard Revue
- [PHOTOS] OMG Music Fest With 101.9 AMP Radio
- Jill’s Fabulous Friend: How To Spot A Tramp
- T.I. Jumps on Jeremih’s ‘Don’t Tell Em’ for Remix: Listen
- Riff Raff Slams Sam Smith for Cropping Him Out of VMAs Photo: ‘Your Face is Super Huge’
- Diplo Debuts Jack U’s ‘Take U There’ with Kiesza Live at Mad Decent Block Party: Listen
- Maroon 5, Gwen Stefani Duet on New Song ‘My Heart is Open': Listen
- Watch Ed Sheeran Spoof the Musical ‘Annie’ Dressed As Little Orphan Annie
- Miley Cyrus’ Homeless VMAs Date Turns Himself in to Jail, Posts Bail
- Trending: 5 Seconds Of Summer Announce Fan Convention “DERPCON”