Adele Beats Michael Jackson on the UK Charts
With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- 5 Seconds Of Summer Announce 2015 North America Tour
- Lana Del Rey is a Blushing Bride in ‘Ultraviolence’ Video [WATCH]
- Vin Diesel Says Iggy Azalea Has a Part in ‘Fast & Furious 7′
- Janelle Monáe Has a Star-Studded Video for ‘Electric Lady,’ Featuring T.I., Estelle: Watch
- Nick Jonas Releases ‘Chains’ Video, Confirms Demi Lovato is On New Solo Album
- Get a Sneak Peek at Britney Spears’ New Lingerie Line
- Justin Bieber Gets Into Fight With Legolas In Ibiza
- Diplo Debuts New Jack U Track in Paris
- New Ariana Grande Song ‘Be My Baby’ Previewed at Cashmere Cat DJ Set
- Porter Robinson Drops New Song, ‘Flicker’