Adele Beats Michael Jackson on the UK Charts
With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- [PHOTOS] Jake Miller Performs At The U.S. Open Of Water Skiing
- We Can Survive Recap: Taylor Swift, Pharrell, Ariana Grande Dazzle the Hollywood Bowl
- Watch Kiesza Dance with Her Clothes in ‘No Enemiesz’ Video
- Watch Drake YOLO It Up, Do the Shmoney Dance at a Dave & Buster’s
- Watch Iggy Azalea’s ‘SNL’ Promo with Jim Carrey
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- YG Jumps On Remix of Fergie’s ‘L.A. Love (La La)': Listen
- Iggy Azalea Releases ‘Beg For it,’ Featuring MØ: Listen
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Score A Pair Of Tickets To See Usher Live At The Amway Center On December 12th!