Adele Beats Michael Jackson on the UK Charts
With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Win A Gift Certificate For ‘Antojito’s Authenic Mexican Food’ At Universal CityWalk ®
- [PHOTOS] 1019 AMP Radio Switch Party With Rixton
- Steve Aoki ‘Cakes’ Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan After Emergency Pooch Training
- Tiesto, Hardwell, Calvin Harris & Steve Angello Lead Electric Daisy Carnival NY 2014 Lineup
- Jennifer Lopez’s Drops New Single, ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ Featuring French Montana
- Skrillex & Boys Noize Go Interstellar for New Dog Blood Video ‘Chella Ride’
- New Study Finds That Some People Are Incapable of Enjoying Music