Adele Beats Michael Jackson on the UK Charts
With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
– Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Nicki Minaj to Open 2015 MTV Video Music Awards
- Tower Records Immortalized in New Doc Featuring Former Employee Dave Grohl, Bruce Springsteen
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Discuss New Album and VMA Performance
- What is Selena Gomez Teasing?
- Fifth Harmony Check in to Haunted Hotel for ‘I’m in Love with a Monster’ Video
- Preview New 5 Seconds of Summer Song ‘Jet Black Heart’
- Nicki Minaj Shares Ultrasound Photo ‘Big News Coming Today’
- Justin Bieber Shares ‘What Do You Mean?’ Posts From Alec Bladwin, Skrillex and More
- Lil Wayne Says Little Has Changed in New Orleans Since Katrina
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Posts Surprise New Teaser Trailer