With over 4 million albums sold, Adele’s album became the fifth best-selling in the UK this week, according to the Official Charts Company, the UK equivalent to SoundScan. The songstress edges out MJ’s Thriller, selling just 500 units more.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot, the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director. “Thriller has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time – there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”
Another fun fact mentioned by the company – one in six British households own a copy of 21.
At the end of last year, Adele outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century in the UK. And in America, she’s fairing just as well. This week, the singer takes over the number two position with almost 84 thousand albums sold, according to SoundScan. The album has sold just under 9 million copies in the U.S. since it’s release in January 2011.
At this point, it’s worth asking, who doesn’t own a copy of 21?
– Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Desiigner Taps Gucci Mane for Wild Ride in ‘Liife’ Video
- Meghan Trainor Denounces Anti-Marriage Equality Ad Using Her Picture
- Mel B Throws Water At Simon Cowell On “America’s Got Talent”
- Taylor Swift Announces New Album ‘Reputation’
- Watch Mel B Throw Water on Simon Cowell
- Beyoncé to Collaborate with Laverne Cox on Upcoming Project
- This Glitter Beauty Mask Is Everything
- Ariana Grande and Seth McFarlane Team Up for ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- How YOU Can Help The Families Of The Kissimmee Fallen Police Officers
- 5 Reasons You’re Always Hungry