Obama Shouts Out Young Jeezy: “I Sing That To Michelle All The Time”
President Obama upgraded his hip-hop street cred with a shout at to Young Jeezy at the White House Correspondents dinner on Saturday (April 28).
“In my first term, I sang Al Green,” Obama said. “In my second term I’m going with Young Jeezy. Michelle said yeah,” he continued, echoing Jeezy’s trademark, “yeeeeeeah” ad lib. “I sing that to Michelle sometime.”
While his rap reference garnered some yucks in the room, it was not the president’s first declaration of his rap preference. Last month, the Atlantic published a piece in which the president was quoted as saying he prefered Jay-Z to Kanye West, whom the president said was “still a jackass.”
Young Jeezy is known for his Thug Motivation album series, on which he places a heavy weight on drug-selling and gangster culture.
He hit the cable news cycle last year when he criticized President Bush in harsh language at an Obama inauguration party, sending a thank you to the person who “threw shoes at George Bush.” He and Jay-Z also sang his then new song, “My President,” with boastful lyrics, such as, “My president is black my lambo’s blue/and I’ll be goddamned if my rims ain’t too…”
Jeezy’s comments were criticized by Fox News and the station’s pundits decried the song as racist.
“The song gives lie to the concept that Barack Obama has ushered in this post racial era,” said columnist and pundit Michelle Malkin. “The color-coded culture is alive and well and has been stoked by the rap industry.”
After President Obama made the remarks, Jeezy hit twitter to share his thoughts.
You know they love the snowman in the white house. #Turntup
— SnowGo (@YoungJeezy) April 29, 2012
Affectionately dubbed “the prom for ugly people,” The White House Correspondents dinner is a black tie affair and charity event in which Washington DC insiders let down their hair for a night filled with jokes and political jabs. This year, late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel delivered the final remarks, in which he roasted the political establishment with biting wit. –Erik Parker, CBS Local
See what’s up on JAMZ!
- Reality Check For 2/27/15: New Frozen Trailer [VIDEO], Kardashians Sign Big Deal, Cotton Candy Oreos , The Dress [PICS]
- WIN Kalin And Myles Backstage Passes
- Childish Gambino Confirms He Is Playing a Stripper in ‘Magic Mike XXL’
- Zedd on How He Met Selena Gomez
- Please Enjoy These Tweets About the Llamas on the Loose
- Kanye West Cries During Interview
- New Music To Know: Ryn Weaver, a Pop Star For the Rest of Us
- Neurotic City: 5 Times Prince Has Acted Ponderously Purple
- Pharrell, Chad Hugo Made Into Statues for Art Piece
- Watch Justin Bieber Twerk for An Old Woman