The Jacksons To Honor Michael On Reunion Tour, Will Record New Music
Amid talk that The Jacksons previously considered the use of a Michael Jackson hologram – for his posthumous Cirque du Soleil Immortal World Tour – is the reality that the Jacksons are very much considering it for a future tour (a la deceased rapper Tupac’s appearance at Coachella), Jackie Jackson told E! News. For now, however, the Jacksons are hitting the road for an overdue reunion – dubbed the Unity Tour – where they’ll honor their late brother and even perform a selection of his solo hits.
“I just wish my brother was here with us so we could do it with him, but there is gonna be some planning to dedicate some songs to Michael in the show, and I’m sure his spirit will be in the house when we’re out there performing on the stage,” Jackie Jackson, Michael’s eldest brother, told Billboard.
Rehearsals for the summer tour kick off May 1, a month and a half before the stateside trek starts on June 18 in Louisville. It’ll be the brothers’ first tour since 1984’s Victory Tour — a hits-filled live show that’s been delayed due to individual projects from Jermaine, Marlon, Tito and Jackie.
“For many many years, we’ve been saying that we wanted to tour and go out, and sometimes things just don’t happen the way you want them to,” Jackson said. “All of our fans around the world wanted us to tour as well. So we decided to come together and just do it for the fans because they want to see it.”
Immediately following the tour, the Jacksons will hit the recording studio to work on their first album since 1989’s 2300 Jackson Street. Jackie adds that the album will sound “a little bit of today, and also a return to our sound. We’re gonna keep it simpleŠ We can’t shy away from our sound.”
A more extensive tour – possibly including a hologram Michael – will follow the release of the album, which will be out on the recently revived Motown label.
Full tour dates for the Jacksons’ Unity Tour 2012:
June 18: Louisville, KY (Palace Theatre)
June 19: Cincinnati, OH (PNC Pavilion at Riverbend Music Center)
June 20: Rama, ON (Casino Rama)
June 22: Merrillville, IN (Star Plaza Theatre)
June 23: Detroit, MI (Fox Theatre)
June 24: Kettering, OH (Fraze Pavilion)
June 26: Cleveland, OH (Jacob’s Pavilion)
June 28: New York, NY (Apollo)
June 29: Atlantic City, NJ (Borgata)
June 30: Englewood, NJ (Bergen PAC)
July 1: Baltimore, MD (Lyric Opera House)
July 3: Washington, DC (DAR Constitution Hall)
July 6: Raleigh, NC (Raleigh Amphitheatre)
July 7: Charlotte, NC (Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre)
July 8: Atlanta, GA (Chastain Park)
July 10: Nashville, TN (Ryman Auditorium)
July 11: St. Louis, MO (Fox Theatre)
July 13: Dallas, TX (Verizon Theatre)
July 14: Houston, TX (Bayou Music Theatre (Verizon Theatre))
July 17: Albuquerque, NM (Hard Rock Hotel & Casino)
July 18: Phoenix, AZ (Dodge (Comerica Theater))
July 20: Las Vegas, NV (The Cannery)
July 21: San Diego, CA (Harrah’s Rincon)
July 22: Los Angeles, CA (The Greek)
July 27: Saratoga, CA (The Mountain Winery)
July 28: Lincoln City, OR (Chinook Winds Casino)
July 29: Snoqualmie, WA (Snoqualmie Casino)
–Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
See what’s up on JAMZ!
- Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams to Face Marvin Gaye’s Family in Court Over Alleged ‘Blurred Lines’ Ripoff
- Trick-Or-Eat And Celebrate This Halloween FOR FREE!
- Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams Lose Round 1 In Lawsuit Against ‘Blurred Lines’
- Sam Smith Pulls Surprise Guest Ed Sheeran for ‘Stay With Me’ Duet: Watch
- Dr. Luke Files Lawsuit Against Kesha’s Mother, Accuses Her of ‘Tortious Interference’
- Style Files: Kim Cesarion on Suits and Stockholm Fashion
- Interview: Usher Talks ‘UR Experience’ Tour, ‘Hands of Stone,’ Bieber and Strippers
- Taylor Swift Says She Was ‘Never Taught the Definition of Feminism’ as a Little Girl, Wishes She Had Been
- This Taylor Swift/Beyoncé Mashup Will Change Your Life
- Taylor Swift on Why ‘1989’ Song ‘How You Get the Girl’ Could Result in a Restraining Order: Watch