It’s pretty hard to imagine the ’90s without Mariah Carey. Releasing six albums over that time, her music seemed to represent the decade. Now, you can revisit all the hits, along with some of Carey’s personal favorites, on her new greatest hits collection.
The Essential Mariah Carey, out May 8, celebrates the singer’s first decade on Columbia Records, which helped her earn five consecutive number singles, something no other pop artist had done before in the history of the Billboard Hot 100.
From 1990 to 1999, she put out 15 number one singles including “Always Be My Baby” and “Hero,” 14 of which are featured on this 28-track, 2 CD-collection. But, Carey didn’t want it to be just like her last greatest hits album, which was released in 2001, so she delved into her back catalogue.
“I wanted to create a collection of some of my favorite songs,” Carey said in a statement. “Several of them are very big hits and some are more obscure favorites of mine as well as fan faves.”
Carey even handpicked four of her favorite recordings to include on the disc like “Vanishing,” a song from her first album that marked her debut as a producer. She also picked “Close My Eyes” from 1997’s Butterfly, which was about being a single woman. Carey divorced her first husband that same year and later made headlines for dating Yankees star Derek Jeter before marrying Nick Cannon in 2008. The couple had their twins, Monroe and Moroccan, last year.
For super fans, Carey included two alternate remixes of “Emotions” from back in 1991 and “Anytime You Need a Friend” from her third album, Music Box.
Check out the tracklist for the 2-disc collection below.
1. Vision of Love
2. Love Takes Time
4. I Don’t Wanna Cry
5. Emotions (12-inch Mix)
6. Can’t Let Go
7. Make It Happen
8. I’ll Be There (featuring Trey Lorenz)
11. Without You
12. Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Club Remix)
13. Endless Love (Duet With Luther Vandross)
1. One Sweet Day (Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men)
2. Always Be My Baby
3. Underneath the Stars
6. My All
7. Close My Eyes
8. The Roof (Mobb Deep Extended Version)
9. When You Believe (From the Prince of Egypt, Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston)
10. I Still Believe
11. Heartbreaker (featuring Jay-Z)
13. Thank God I Found You (featuring Joe & 98 Degrees)
14. Can’t Take That Away (Mariah’s Theme)
– Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
See what’s up on JAMZ!
- Ice Cube will Buy 10 Pairs of Big Ballers if Lavar Ball Makes this Shot
- Niall Horan Calls Eagles’ Don Henley ‘Dad’
- National Wine Day In GIFs
- The Boss Is Away Is Trending And We Love It
- Amber Rose Relives Terrifying Home Invasion, ‘I Cried All Day Long’
- Lana Del Rey’s New ‘Socially Aware’ Album ‘Lust For Life’ Drops July 21
- Mariah Carey Pays Tribute to Fan who Died in Manchester Bombing
- “All The Feels” For 5.25.17
- DJ Khaled Confirms Rihanna Appearance on ‘Grateful’
- Majority of People Eat While They Drive