2 Chainz Explains Link To Ludacris’ New Set, Teases G.O.O.D. Music “Surprise”
2 Chainz is a wanted man. While he polishes his own highly-anticipated album, he’s been called on by Ludacris, his former Disturbing Tha Peace boss, to help shape the veteran rapper’s new set. And with all the hype surrounding his appearance on Kanye West‘s “Mercy,” he refused to rule out an official G.O.O.D. Music collaboration.
In the capacity of A&R for Luda’s forthcoming Ludaversal, 2 Chainz said he has been suggesting a few sounds that might work for his former label head.
“My job is to give him beats from my perspective, from where I come from,” he told CBS Local. “I have a long history of club shows and rocking out and he’s a more venue artist. So I’m just trying to give him some looks from my eyes and perspective.”
While 2 Chainz said he couldn’t explain what world view Ludaversal will finally express, he explained his approach to the project.
“I’m just submitting beats from my eyes, different from what Luda usually does, that’s why he hired me,” he said. “Me and Luda are definitely two different artists. So, it will be different. I do a lot of clubs. So I’m just submitting 2 Chainz s***. Different things I think he would need or doesn’t f*** with.”
2 Chainz impacted the national music scene as a member of Playaz Circle in 2007, when the duo released the hit record “Duffle Bag Boy,” featuring Lil Wayne on DTP/Def Jam. After a successful mixtape campaign and a name-change (formerly Tity Boi), 2 Chainz emerged as a solo artist with his own Def Jam imprint, The Real University (TRU).
He has since built a growing demand for his solo project. In March, it was announced that he would be joining Drake on the Club Paradise tour.He’s appeared on Nicki Minaj’s new single “Beez in the Trap,” and Kanye West’s “Mercy.”
The latter created excitement about the possibility of an official collaboration–or signing–with Kanye’s G.O.O.D. Music. When asked if he would sign to G.O.O.D. Music for his debut solo album, he didn’t rule it out.
“We’ll just have to see,” he said. “I do still like that element of surprise. That’s what makes hip-hop fun to me.
When will he break the secret?
“That’s the thing about surprises,” he continued. “Can’t have a surprise party if you know about it, right?”
2 Chainz’s album Based on a T.R.U. Story is set to hit stores August 14. –Erik Parker, CBS Local
See what’s up on JAMZ!
- Win Tickets to See Walk The Moon
- Jamie Foxx Announces New Album ‘Hollywood’
- Pitbull’s Next Album Is Called ‘Dale’ & Everything Is Right with the World
- Kanye West Got Served at LAX—& Threw the Papers Out the Window
- Win a Trip to See Mumford & Sons in NYC: Play Pingo
- Wanna Be Fall Out Boy’s Assistant for a Day? Their ‘Uma Thurman’ Video May (or May Not) Deter You
- Want Jay Z or Jack White to Call You? Subscribe to TIDAL
- New Music to Know: LunchMoney Lewis Wants To Make Your Life More Fun
- A$AP Rocky Threatened to Punch a Guy at a London Bagel Shop, But He’s Over It
- Chris Brown Shows Off His New Baby Daughter: See the Photo