Lil Wayne had love on his mind during his time behind bars. While he was serving a sentence for a gun case in 2010, he was penning an album of “love” songs, he recently admitted.
“I was also recording an album at the same time called Devol, spelled D-E-V-O-L because that’s ‘loved’ spelled backwards,” Wayne told MTV’s Hip-Hop POV. “And this is my version of love songs. And what I mean by my version of love songs is meaning they’re not saying I love you. I mean…I’m saying, you know, you know. And it’s all material I did while I was locked up.”
Wayne was freed from jail in November 2010, after serving eight months behind bars for having a gun on his tour bus in 2007. While inside, he released his experimental album I Am Not a Human Being, which hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.
On November 28, Wayne will release his memoir, Gone Till November, based on his thoughts and experiences behind bars.
–E. Parker, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Watch Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Perform ‘White Privilege II’
- Luke Bryan, John Legend, Demi Lovato & Meghan Trainor to Honor Lionel Richie
- Maroon 5 Thank Taraji P. Henson After Super Bowl Gaffe
- Watch Charlie Puth Beatbox ‘Drop It Like It’s Hot’
- Beyoncé’s Stylist: There is a New Album and it’s Great
- Kanye West to Retire and Design Children’s Clothing?
- 6 Reasons Why Beyonce’s Halftime Performance was the Most ‘Beyonce’ Moment Ever
- Hayden Panettiere and Christina Aguilera Join Forces for ‘Lady Marmalade’
- Kanye West Teases Sneak Peek of ‘Yeezy Season 3’
- Von Miller Rap with Lil Wayne at Super Bowl After Party