Kanye West Expands G.O.O.D. Music Tribe, Signs Q-Tip For New Album
In a statement released by Def Jam CEO Barry Weiss, who previously oversaw A Tribe Called Quest’s releases at Jive Records, Q-Tip discussed his plans for his upcoming G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam distributed solo set, entitled The Last Zulu.
“I’m humbled to be a part of such a storied history,” Q-Tip said via statement. “To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I’m excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting edge music I can.”
West has previously signed Tribe protege Consequence to G.O.O.D. Music. While he and Cons split ways, Kanye has made no secret of his admiration of A Tribe Called Quest, citing the group on “Last Call” from his 2004 debut College Dropout:
“Though fans want the feeling of A Tribe Called Quest,” he rapped, “But all they got left is this guy called West…”
While this signing marks an official connection between Tip and G.O.O.D. Music, West and Q-Tip worked together on Watch the Throne, the Kanye-Jay-Z collaborative set. Tip also added his production expertise to Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Q-Tip’s The Last Zulu is due out in 2013.
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- New ‘I Am Cait’ Trailer Shows the Tears Behind the Scenes
- Shaggy Just Solved the World’s Problem with ISIS
- Pregnant Mom Does Whip Nae Nae Dance With Adorable Daughter
- Miguel Attempts to Diffuse Frank Ocean Spat with ‘Channel Orange’ Pun
- Amy Schumer To Feminists Everywhere: You’re in ‘Good Hands With Me’
- Justin Bieber Just Got Naked on a Boat & Miley Cyrus Already Turned Him Into Kim Kardashian
- Reality Check For 7/7/15: Kourtney Calls It Quits, Amazon’s Prime Day, Starbucks Raising Prices Again
- New At 9: Alessia Cara ‘Here’
- Holy Ship 2016: Kaskade, DJ Snake, Porter Robinson Top 2016 Lineups
- Australians Constructing 68-Story Tower Dedicated to Beyoncé