Kanye West Expands G.O.O.D. Music Tribe, Signs Q-Tip For New Album
In a statement released by Def Jam CEO Barry Weiss, who previously oversaw A Tribe Called Quest’s releases at Jive Records, Q-Tip discussed his plans for his upcoming G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam distributed solo set, entitled The Last Zulu.
“I’m humbled to be a part of such a storied history,” Q-Tip said via statement. “To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I’m excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting edge music I can.”
West has previously signed Tribe protege Consequence to G.O.O.D. Music. While he and Cons split ways, Kanye has made no secret of his admiration of A Tribe Called Quest, citing the group on “Last Call” from his 2004 debut College Dropout:
“Though fans want the feeling of A Tribe Called Quest,” he rapped, “But all they got left is this guy called West…”
While this signing marks an official connection between Tip and G.O.O.D. Music, West and Q-Tip worked together on Watch the Throne, the Kanye-Jay-Z collaborative set. Tip also added his production expertise to Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Q-Tip’s The Last Zulu is due out in 2013.
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Kanye West, Rihanna, Jason Aldean Tweet Support for Jay Z’s Newly Launched TIDAL
- Ariana Grande Extends ‘Honeymoon Tour’ And Adds Tampa Date
- Trevor Noah Will Replace Jon Stewart as Host of ‘The Daily Show’
- I Pink I Can Carnival At UCF
- Destiny’s Child Performed Together Again This Weekend: Watch
- Reality Check For 3/30/15: Zayn Malik Going Solo, Taylor Swift And Calvin Harris, Destiny’s Child Reunite
- Listen All Week Long To Win Tickets To See Insurgent
- Beat My Tweet For An AMP Concert Pack