Kanye West Expands G.O.O.D. Music Tribe, Signs Q-Tip For New Album
In a statement released by Def Jam CEO Barry Weiss, who previously oversaw A Tribe Called Quest’s releases at Jive Records, Q-Tip discussed his plans for his upcoming G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam distributed solo set, entitled The Last Zulu.
“I’m humbled to be a part of such a storied history,” Q-Tip said via statement. “To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I’m excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting edge music I can.”
West has previously signed Tribe protege Consequence to G.O.O.D. Music. While he and Cons split ways, Kanye has made no secret of his admiration of A Tribe Called Quest, citing the group on “Last Call” from his 2004 debut College Dropout:
“Though fans want the feeling of A Tribe Called Quest,” he rapped, “But all they got left is this guy called West…”
While this signing marks an official connection between Tip and G.O.O.D. Music, West and Q-Tip worked together on Watch the Throne, the Kanye-Jay-Z collaborative set. Tip also added his production expertise to Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Q-Tip’s The Last Zulu is due out in 2013.
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Ella Henderson on Taking Inspiration from Mermaids and Valentino in Style Files
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett Added to List of 2015 GRAMMY Performers
- Madonna Calls Taylor Swift the ‘Princess’ of Pop, Now Taylor Swift is ‘Dead’
- Nick Jonas Joins ‘Scream Queens’ Cast with Ariana Grande
- 2 Chainz Talks Running for Mayor, Releases New Mixtape
- Taylor Swift on Hackers’ Claim of Nude Photos: ‘You Got Nothing’
- ‘Ghostbusters’ All-Female Reboot Cast Led by Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig
- Stream Fifth Harmony’s New Album ‘Reflection’
- Taylor Swift’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Forecastle 2015: Sam Smith, My Morning Jacket, Modest Mouse Headlining