Kanye West Expands G.O.O.D. Music Tribe, Signs Q-Tip For New Album
In a statement released by Def Jam CEO Barry Weiss, who previously oversaw A Tribe Called Quest’s releases at Jive Records, Q-Tip discussed his plans for his upcoming G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam distributed solo set, entitled The Last Zulu.
“I’m humbled to be a part of such a storied history,” Q-Tip said via statement. “To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I’m excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting edge music I can.”
West has previously signed Tribe protege Consequence to G.O.O.D. Music. While he and Cons split ways, Kanye has made no secret of his admiration of A Tribe Called Quest, citing the group on “Last Call” from his 2004 debut College Dropout:
“Though fans want the feeling of A Tribe Called Quest,” he rapped, “But all they got left is this guy called West…”
While this signing marks an official connection between Tip and G.O.O.D. Music, West and Q-Tip worked together on Watch the Throne, the Kanye-Jay-Z collaborative set. Tip also added his production expertise to Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
Q-Tip’s The Last Zulu is due out in 2013.
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- CareerBuilder Releases ‘The Most Unbelievable Excuses For Calling In Sick’ List For 2014
- Judge Judy Doesn’t Know What a Rave Is: Watch
- Q&A: Hozier Gets Personal on His Songwriting and Irish Roots
- Deadmau5 Offers Up ‘4X4=12′ Album as Free Download
- Rita Ora Shares New Song ‘Grateful’ from Film ‘Beyond the Lights': Listen
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay
- One Direction Announce 2015 Stadium Tour
- Iggy Azalea Takes on the Haters with ‘Iggy SZN': Listen
- Katy Perry Canceled 30th Birthday Celebration in Egypt Due to ‘Safety Concerns’
- Nick Jonas Gets Racy on New Single ‘Wilderness': Listen