The May issue of Elle magazine will feature a so-hot right now cover girl: Rihanna. The singer is starring in her first summer blockbuster, Battleship, and is wrapping up production on her 2011 hit album Talk That Talk with some controversial collaborations with her ex-boyfriend, Chris Brown.
Elle tackles these concerns head-on, getting Rihanna on the record about her break up with Brown. “It gave me guns. I was like, well, f***. They know more about me than I want them to know. It’s embarrassing. But that was my opening. That was my liberation, my moment of bring it. […] Now you know that, so you can say what you want about it. I don’t have anything to hide,” Rihanna said.
But Rihanna hints at some rebellion in the interview too. When pressed on her reaction to backlash from the press, fans, and the Internet in general on her recent collaborations with Brown, Rihanna replied, “People end up wasting their time on the blogs or whatever, ranting away, and that’s all right. Because tomorrow I’m still going to be the same person. I’m still going to do what I want to do.”
The shoot was designed by Elle as “a romantic narrative starring Rihanna as the fiery heroine in a passionate affair with a salsa dancer.” In addition to photographing, Tom Murno filmed Rihanna’s Elle shoot all as a movie. Between this piece of cinema and her role in Battleship, it seems Rihanna is serious about a second career in front of the camera. The singer recently told MTV News that she would love to play Whitney Houston in any forthcoming biopics, saying, “That would be something that I would have to give my entire life to do, because I would really want to pull it off.”
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ
- Things We Wish Our Boss Did Better
- Rihanna Wins Harvard’s Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Daily Dish For 2.23.17
- Bebe Rexha Salutes Destiny’s Child in ‘Late Late Show’ Performance
- Zedd & Alessia Cara Drop New Track ‘Stay’
- Watch One of Katy Perry’s Little Houses Fall Offstage at Brit Awards
- Golden Kanye/Jesus Appears in Los Angeles
- Zedd Teases Alessia Cara Collaboration ‘Stay’
- Future’s New Album Features The Weeknd, Rihanna
- The Chainsmokers & Coldplay Release New Single ‘Something Just Like This’