Rihanna Covers Elle, Talks Chris Brown and Being Herself
The May issue of Elle magazine will feature a so-hot right now cover girl: Rihanna. The singer is starring in her first summer blockbuster, Battleship, and is wrapping up production on her 2011 hit album Talk That Talk with some controversial collaborations with her ex-boyfriend, Chris Brown.
Elle tackles these concerns head-on, getting Rihanna on the record about her break up with Brown. “It gave me guns. I was like, well, f***. They know more about me than I want them to know. It’s embarrassing. But that was my opening. That was my liberation, my moment of bring it. […] Now you know that, so you can say what you want about it. I don’t have anything to hide,” Rihanna said.
But Rihanna hints at some rebellion in the interview too. When pressed on her reaction to backlash from the press, fans, and the Internet in general on her recent collaborations with Brown, Rihanna replied, “People end up wasting their time on the blogs or whatever, ranting away, and that’s all right. Because tomorrow I’m still going to be the same person. I’m still going to do what I want to do.”
The shoot was designed by Elle as “a romantic narrative starring Rihanna as the fiery heroine in a passionate affair with a salsa dancer.” In addition to photographing, Tom Murno filmed Rihanna’s Elle shoot all as a movie. Between this piece of cinema and her role in Battleship, it seems Rihanna is serious about a second career in front of the camera. The singer recently told MTV News that she would love to play Whitney Houston in any forthcoming biopics, saying, “That would be something that I would have to give my entire life to do, because I would really want to pull it off.”
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
See what’s new on JAMZ
- Fifth Harmony Are the Wolves of Wall Street in ‘Worth It’ Video Featuring Kid Ink: Watch
- The TIDAL Promo Video Is So Illuminati It Hurts
- Surprise! Odds of Big Artists Debuting Brand New Albums on TIDAL Today
- Karrueche Tran Discusses Rocky Relationship with Chris Brown: ‘I Want My Voice to Be Heard’
- Don’t Bring Your Selfie Sticks to Coachella or Lollapalooza
- Ariana Grande Extends Honeymoon Tour Into Fall
- Kanye West, Rihanna, Jason Aldean Tweet Support for Jay Z’s Newly Launched TIDAL
- Ariana Grande Extends ‘Honeymoon Tour’ And Adds Tampa Date
- Trevor Noah Will Replace Jon Stewart as Host of ‘The Daily Show’