Jay-Z Goes Back To Brooklyn For New Rocawear Commercial
You know Jay-Z for his numerous hits, his history with rap legend Biggie Smalls and his relationship with pop diva, Beyonce. But before Jay-Z became one of the most renowned, successful hip-hop moguls in the industry, he was Shawn Carter from the Marcy Houses Projects in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. Memories of his life on the streets and pride for his hometown can be heard through his lyrics and can be identified by his signature fitted Yankees hat.
HOV is returning to his roots with an empire state of mind in a new commercial for his clothing line Rocawear, appropriately titled “From Marcy to Barclay.” It follows him from the streets to the stage in a close to home way. His hometown roots aren’t the only thing his new commercial mirrors. The ad is rather reminiscent of his 2004 video for his single “99 Problems.” Both videos, filmed in black and white, depict a raw life on the streets image. Eight years later, Carter still doesn’t forget where he came from.
“Wherever you grow up, it’s your root, and I’m a kid from the Marcy Projects in Brooklyn,” Jay-Z said. “My goal was to have one gold album and that was it. I wanted to show that artists can ascend to the executive ranks. Rocawear just keeps reinventing itself and redefining itself every single day.”
- Vittoria Colonna/92.3 NOW
See what’s new on JAMZ!
- Jennifer Lopez’s Drops New Single, ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ Featuring French Montana
- Skrillex & Boys Noize Go Interstellar for New Dog Blood Video ‘Chella Ride’
- New Study Finds That Some People Are Incapable of Enjoying Music
- Lady Gaga to Headline Intimate Show at SXSW
- Taylor Swift: Inside the ACM Entertainer of the Year Nominees
- Hot Right Now: Justin Bieber’s Genitals Will Be Blacked Out In New Arrest Video
- Justin Bieber May Get Exposure Where the Sun Don’t Shine
- A New Study Shows Which Words in Music Have Stood the Test of Time
- Katy Perry Became a Weather Girl For a Day Down Under
- [PHOTOS] Miami Police Documented Justin Bieber’s Ink In Photos