Lions, Elephants, Giraffes, Oh My: In Drake’s Backyard
One writer got conversationally intimate with Drake in his California mansion while writing a cover story on him for April’s issue of GQ magazine. She paints quite a picture of Drizzy’s backyard, detailing multiple waterfalls, a blue lagoon and a swimming pool (the latter filled with statues of nude women), an outdoor fireplace with flat-screen TV, and bronze statues of animals including lions, elephants and giraffes.
It comes out in the piece that Drake’s favorite drink is a wine spritzer — 3/4 wine, 1/4 club soda, a drink favored more by Betty Draper-types than hip hop artists. But perhaps that harkens to Drake’s need to be in control. He tells GQ, “I’m mischievous, but I’m calculated.”
And how is Drake’s game? He admits to going through a phase as a womanizer after the fame hit, but hits at wanting less freedom when he says, “I was in that sort of ‘I’m young, I’m going to disconnect from my emotions and just do what everyone else tells me I should do and just be a rapper and have my fun.’ And for me as a person, it just doesn’t work. I just need something else.”
Drake knows what he needs to write another great album after his stellar debut, but it is something money can’t buy. “When I was in my mom’s house, I had nowhere to go, no real obligations. My girlfriend at the time, if she was mad at me, my day was all f*****-up,” Drake says. “I didn’t have anything else. And that made for some of the best music, I think, to date. Records where I felt small.”
What’s new on JAMZ?
- Guys Tell Their Hookup Horror Stories
- Are You Living Or Working With A Psychopath?
- Steve Aoki Announces ‘Neon Future 1′ Release Date, Madison Square Garden Show
- Watch Skrillex, Diplo, A-Trak & Dillion Francis Star in Epic HARD Summer 2014 Trailer
- The Goonies Are Back!
- Watch Kermit and Miss Piggy Go EDM in ‘The Muppets Theme’ Remix Video
- Neon Trees Relive Personal History for ‘First Things First’ Video
- Avril Lavigne Tries to Go Big in Japan for ‘Hello Kitty’ Video
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Confirm Support of 30/30 Project
- Listen to DJ Khaled’s Remix of J-Lo’s ‘I Luh Ya Papi,’ Featuring Big Sean, Tyga