One writer got conversationally intimate with Drake in his California mansion while writing a cover story on him for April’s issue of GQ magazine. She paints quite a picture of Drizzy’s backyard, detailing multiple waterfalls, a blue lagoon and a swimming pool (the latter filled with statues of nude women), an outdoor fireplace with flat-screen TV, and bronze statues of animals including lions, elephants and giraffes.
It comes out in the piece that Drake’s favorite drink is a wine spritzer — 3/4 wine, 1/4 club soda, a drink favored more by Betty Draper-types than hip hop artists. But perhaps that harkens to Drake’s need to be in control. He tells GQ, “I’m mischievous, but I’m calculated.”
And how is Drake’s game? He admits to going through a phase as a womanizer after the fame hit, but hits at wanting less freedom when he says, “I was in that sort of ‘I’m young, I’m going to disconnect from my emotions and just do what everyone else tells me I should do and just be a rapper and have my fun.’ And for me as a person, it just doesn’t work. I just need something else.”
Drake knows what he needs to write another great album after his stellar debut, but it is something money can’t buy. “When I was in my mom’s house, I had nowhere to go, no real obligations. My girlfriend at the time, if she was mad at me, my day was all f*****-up,” Drake says. “I didn’t have anything else. And that made for some of the best music, I think, to date. Records where I felt small.”
What’s new on JAMZ?
- Play “What’s In Jill’s Purse?!” To Win Tickets To See Kanye West
- Taylor Swift’s Cat is Keeping Her Awake
- Danie B Takes On Halloween Horror Nights Again
- “Nashville” Season Five Teaser Released
- Amy Schumer Parodies Beyoncé’s ‘Formation’ Video
- Azealia Banks Says She’s Pressing Charges Against Russell Crowe
- R. Kelly Announces ’12 Nights of Christmas’ Tour
- Chuck D to Rock Hall: LL Cool J Should Be Inducted Before Tupac
- What You Doin’ At The Courthouse (10/21/16)
- 5 Best Songs on Lady Gaga’s Personal, Spirited ‘Joanne’