One writer got conversationally intimate with Drake in his California mansion while writing a cover story on him for April’s issue of GQ magazine. She paints quite a picture of Drizzy’s backyard, detailing multiple waterfalls, a blue lagoon and a swimming pool (the latter filled with statues of nude women), an outdoor fireplace with flat-screen TV, and bronze statues of animals including lions, elephants and giraffes.
It comes out in the piece that Drake’s favorite drink is a wine spritzer — 3/4 wine, 1/4 club soda, a drink favored more by Betty Draper-types than hip hop artists. But perhaps that harkens to Drake’s need to be in control. He tells GQ, “I’m mischievous, but I’m calculated.”
And how is Drake’s game? He admits to going through a phase as a womanizer after the fame hit, but hits at wanting less freedom when he says, “I was in that sort of ‘I’m young, I’m going to disconnect from my emotions and just do what everyone else tells me I should do and just be a rapper and have my fun.’ And for me as a person, it just doesn’t work. I just need something else.”
Drake knows what he needs to write another great album after his stellar debut, but it is something money can’t buy. “When I was in my mom’s house, I had nowhere to go, no real obligations. My girlfriend at the time, if she was mad at me, my day was all f*****-up,” Drake says. “I didn’t have anything else. And that made for some of the best music, I think, to date. Records where I felt small.”
What’s new on JAMZ?
- Listen To Win Tickets To The “Power 96 Holiday Throwback” Show
- ‘Beat My Tweet’ To Win Tickets To See The Roots At House Of Blues
- ‘AMP’ Up Your Holiday Cheer At Universal Orlando™ Resort
- Play “What’s In Jill’s Purse?!” To Win Tickets To Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Circus XTREME
- Play ‘Show Tune Tuesdays’ To Win $100 To Bonefish Grill
- Win Tickets To See The Rock Hard Male Revue
- Play Battle Of The Hoods To Win EBH2 Tickets And FunkyEyes.com Contacts!
- Shawn Mendes, Maren Morris & Chance the Rapper to Perform on ‘Saturday Night Live’
- No, J Cole Did Not Diss Kanye
- Donald Glover Is The Genius Everybody Ignores