What happens when you pack hundreds of NBA fans in a parking lot and tell them they might get a pair of Limited Edition shoes from Nike? Did you guess a riot? Well, you’re right. A riot broke out at the Foot Locker at the Florida Mall and Sheriff’s Deputies had to regain control in full riot gear and threats of using pepper spray.
The shoes were part of Nike’s All-Star Collection called the “Nike Galaxy Foamposites.” Their design is in honor of the space coast and apparently they glow, with a retail price of $220.
But when you tell Orlando residents, plus all the NBA fans in town for All- Star Weekend, they might be able to get their hands on a pair of these exclusive shoes, people went nuts! According to reports, crowds gathered outside the Florida Mall Foot Locker and shoppers were kept at a distance from the store until the shoes went on sale.
Well, one person made their way from the crowd towards the store and that started the whole riot. A witness on the scene, Amanda Charles, told the Orlando Sentinel “I saw 100’s of people running towards me, I thought I was going to get trampled.”
Once Deputies arrived, peace was restored and no arrests or injuries have been reported.
On a side note, there were reports that Michael Jordan, in town for NBA All-Star Weekend, was also at the Florida Mall doing some shopping. That could have helped to draw the crowd to the mall.
Thanks to Jay Edwards for the post.
What’s new on JAMZ?
- Camila Cabello Wants Body Enhancement for Her Birthday
- The Men Of “Moonlight” Are The New Faces Of Calvin Klein
- The Chainsmokers Share Emotional Message after Fan’s Passing
- Mahershala Ali is a Pretty Decent Rapper
- The Weeknd Unveils ‘Spring Icons’ Fashion Line
- Future Dropping Another New Album on Friday?
- The Game Claims Meek Mill was Involved in Nicki Minaj’s House Burglary
- Watch Sara Bareilles Cover Joni Mitchell for Oscars’ In Memoriam Segment
- Oxford Dictionary’s New Words
- Mayor Buddy Dyer Talks “Heroes In Blue” Benefit With Chad & Jill