When the special Valentine’s Day episode of Glee (which airs tonight on FOX) was put together, there was no way of predicting the tragic end to the life of Whitney Houston which occurred Saturday. So it’s only by chance that Whitney’s classic I Will Always Love You appears in the episode as sung by Amber “Mercedes” Riley.
FOX released the following statement yesterday:
Purely coincidentally, the episode contains Mercedes (Amber Riley) singing “I Will Always Love You,” the Dolly Parton song Houston made famous in “The Bodyguard.” The producers have decided to dedicate the episode to Houston’s memory with a card in the end credits.
Amber Riley told E! Online:
It’s such a song that’s so close to my heart and it’s very challenging vocally. [But] I went for it and it’s very, I guess, befitting that we’re doing it this Tuesday. We were celebrating her in life when we recorded and now, we’re celebrating her legacy.
Will you be tuning in tonight?
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- Chance the Rapper Talks Tour, GRAMMY Wins, Barack Obama
- Pink Shares Breastfeeding Photo
- Orlando Fat Tuesday Celebrations
- Nicki Minaj and Future Collaborate on Video Project
- Daily Dish For 2.28.17
- Kim Kardashian Posts Adorable Selfies with Son Saint West
- Chance the Rapper to Talk Education Reform with Illinois Governor
- Watch Ed Sheeran & Roots Perform ‘Shape of You’ with Toy Instruments
- Dancing With The Stars Contestants
- Watch James Corden Spoof ‘La La Land’ Oscars Debacle in Song