[photogallerylink id=76748 align=left]
Whitney Houston, an original Jersey girl, will return home to Newark, New Jersey to bid her farewell. Preparations for her funeral are currently being made to be held later this week.
Sources are reporting that Whitney will be laid to rest later this week, probably Friday, with services being held at the Prudential Center in Newark. The arena can hold up to 18,500 people and could handle the crowd much better than her home church, New Hope Baptist Church. Church members took time out to reflect on Whitney as a child in the church.
Members told CBS 2 New York,
“I can see her coming from the choir stand as a little girl, coming down to the microphone with this big booming voice from this little, little, girl,” said Barbara Pulliam, church deacon.
Another member said,
“She could sing like an angel. She had a voice no one else could have. No one could buy that kind of voice. God gave her that voice,” said congregation member Madelyn Davis.
As a child, Whitney Houston grew up in East Orange, New Jersey and sang in the church choir but later rose to fame as a pop diva. Members of the congregation reflect on her as a small town girl from East Orange.
[pullquote quote=”To everybody else, she was this big celebrity, but to us, she was Newark. To us she was new hope” credit=”Abdul Taylor”]
“The family shared Whitney with the world, but Whitney was a mother, a daughter, a sister, and that’s the focus we want to keep in front of everyone today” – Pastor Joe Carter, New Hope Baptist Church
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- Make A Splash At Aquatica When You Play ‘What’s In Jill’s Purse?!’
- Listen To Chad & Jill To Win A Vacation To Pelican Grand Beach Resort!
- Beat My Tweet To Win Movie Passes To See Jason Bourne
- Play Show Tune Tuesdays To Win Barbershop: The Next Cut On Blu-ray Disc
- Chance the Rapper & Dwayne Wade Surprise Lollapalooza Crowd
- The 90’s Are Back And “I Want My MTV”
- Kanye West’s Cries in New Video ‘Wolves’
- Listen to the Soundtrack for ‘The Land’
- Jason Derulo Drops Funky New Track ‘Kiss the Sky’
- Snoop Dogg Says Hell No to Hot Dogs