Whitney Houston, who passed away yesterday at the age of 48, was best known for her amazing voice, but that vocal talent also led Houston to the silver screen. From her breakout debut performance in The Bodyguard, to her as yet to be released remake of Sparkle, her films totaled only five spanning from 1992-2012. Let’s take a look at the films and roles that brought Whitney to the movies.
The Bodyguard (1992)
It was a huge film debut for Whitney, pairing her with one of the biggest stars of the time, Kevin Costner. The film eventually pulled in a whopping $410,900,000 worldwide. It also gave us one of the songs that would forever be associated with her, a cover of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Dolly Parton[/lastfm]’s I Will Always Love You.
Waiting To Exhale (1995)
Three years later, Whitney joined an all-star cast for the film version Terry McMillan’s novel Waiting To Exhale. The film followed the lives of four very different African-American women and their relationships with men. Playing Savannah Jackson, she also had a hit with the song Exhale from the film.
The Preacher’s Wife (1996)
Her beginnings in the church helped with her next role one year later in the The Preacher’s Wife starring opposite Denzel Washington. Ironically, she later revealed to Oprah that during the filming her cocaine and marijuana usage had become so rampant that there was never a day during the filming that she was not doing drugs.
Cinderella (TV) (1997)
Her next film appearance, before there would be a 15 year absence from the movies, was for the small screen as she played the Fairy Godmother in an all-black update of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s classic Cinderella, starring [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Brandy[/lastfm] as the title character.
Whitney was one of the driving forces behind bringing a remake of the 1976 musical Sparkle to the screen. Playing the mother of three sisters who rise to fame as singers, and also deal with the consequences of fame and drug abuse, she will never have the chance to see if the film is a hit or not. It is now slated for release on August 10th, 2012. Let’s hope it will serve as a lasting legacy to Whitney on film.
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- Play ‘Show Tune Tuesdays’ To Win $100 To Bonefish Grill
- Play “What’s In Jill’s Purse?!” To Win Tickets And Meet & Greets To EBH2!
- Register To Win Tickets To The ‘Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Circus XTREME’
- ‘Beat My Tweet’ To Win Tickets To See JoJo!
- Let 101.9 AMP Radio ‘Treat You Better’ With 12 Days Of Shawn Mendes
- Play Battle Of The Hoods To Win Tickets To See “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
- Listen To Win Tickets To See Jake Miller
- Win “Jason Bourne’ on Blu-Ray DVD This Weekend Of Winning
- Come Join Chad & Jill For The “Circus” Of Fun At The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
- Nicki Minaj Celebrates Birthday with Meek Mill in Paradise