Best Sellers From The ’80s: Whitney Houston’s Debut Album
(Note: Whitney Houston died Saturday, Feb. 11 at age 48.)
Though she brought inimitable talent, strong pedigree and the enthusiasm of Clive Davis to her first recording sessions, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Whitney Houston[/lastfm] initially wasn’t of interest to a lot of A-list producers. But Davis and Houston forged on and created the biggest-selling debut album in history for a female artist at the time.
It was well-known producer Kashif who finally got the ball rolling when he laid down a demo of the hit “You Give Good Love.” From there, other notable knob twiddlers like Michael Masser, Jermaine Jackson and Michael Narada Walden signed on and the album — an expensive $250,000 production — started to come together.
The slow gestation of Whitney Houston paid off: “You Give Good Love” hit #3, three other cuts wet to #1 and the album won or was nominated for more awards that can be listed here.
To date, Whitney Houston’s debut has sold 13 million copies in the US alone.
[metrolyrics artist="Whitney Houston" song="You Give Good Love"]
What was hot a quarter-of-a-century ago? Find out with more Best Sellers from the ’80s here…
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- YG Jumps On Remix of Fergie’s ‘L.A. Love (La La)': Listen
- Iggy Azalea Releases ‘Beg For it,’ Featuring MØ: Listen
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Score A Pair Of Tickets To See Usher Live At The Amway Center On December 12th!
- Listen To Dustin Every Morning To Win Your Tickets To The Electric Daisy Carnival!
- Monica Lewinsky Thanks All the Artists Like Nicki Minaj & Eminem Who Name-Dropped Her in Their Songs: Watch
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Register To Win A Four Pack Of Tickets To See Enrique And Pitbull At The Amway Center!
- Trending: Nick Jonas Plays “Guess That Bulge” With Harry Styles And 5 Seconds Of Summer
- J Lo Working On Vegas Deal That Has A Paycheck Bigger Than Britney’s