Best Sellers From The ’80s: Whitney Houston’s Debut Album
(Note: Whitney Houston died Saturday, Feb. 11 at age 48.)
Though she brought inimitable talent, strong pedigree and the enthusiasm of Clive Davis to her first recording sessions, [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Whitney Houston[/lastfm] initially wasn’t of interest to a lot of A-list producers. But Davis and Houston forged on and created the biggest-selling debut album in history for a female artist at the time.
It was well-known producer Kashif who finally got the ball rolling when he laid down a demo of the hit “You Give Good Love.” From there, other notable knob twiddlers like Michael Masser, Jermaine Jackson and Michael Narada Walden signed on and the album — an expensive $250,000 production — started to come together.
The slow gestation of Whitney Houston paid off: “You Give Good Love” hit #3, three other cuts wet to #1 and the album won or was nominated for more awards that can be listed here.
To date, Whitney Houston’s debut has sold 13 million copies in the US alone.
[metrolyrics artist="Whitney Houston" song="You Give Good Love"]
What was hot a quarter-of-a-century ago? Find out with more Best Sellers from the ’80s here…
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- Paul Walker’s Family Keep Him Alive In Fast And Furious 7
- This Week’s Beats With Stacy Keith: “Am I Wrong” -Nico & Vinz
- Pharrell’s “Happy” Tears On Oprah
- People Applying For The Hardest Job In The World
- Imagine Dragons’ Dan Reynolds Garnering Songwriters Hall of Fame Honor
- ‘The Voice’ Tour- Get Your Tickets Early
- Hot Right Now: Taylor Swift Surprises Fan At Her Bridal Shower
- US Airways Pornographic Response To Upset Customers
- Tax Day Deals And Free Stuff!!
- Amazing Spiderman 2 Video With Alicia Keys, Pharrell, Kendrick Lamar, And Hans Zimmer