(Note: Whitney Houston died Saturday, Feb. 11 at age 48.)
Though she brought inimitable talent, strong pedigree and the enthusiasm of Clive Davis to her first recording sessions, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Whitney Houston[/lastfm] initially wasn’t of interest to a lot of A-list producers. But Davis and Houston forged on and created the biggest-selling debut album in history for a female artist at the time.
It was well-known producer Kashif who finally got the ball rolling when he laid down a demo of the hit “You Give Good Love.” From there, other notable knob twiddlers like Michael Masser, Jermaine Jackson and Michael Narada Walden signed on and the album — an expensive $250,000 production — started to come together.
The slow gestation of Whitney Houston paid off: “You Give Good Love” hit #3, three other cuts wet to #1 and the album won or was nominated for more awards that can be listed here.
To date, Whitney Houston’s debut has sold 13 million copies in the US alone.
[metrolyrics artist=”Whitney Houston” song=”You Give Good Love”]
What was hot a quarter-of-a-century ago? Find out with more Best Sellers from the ’80s here…
Get the latest from JAMZ:
- Play ‘Show Tune Tuesdays’ To Win $100 To Bonefish Grill
- Play “What’s In Jill’s Purse?!” To Win Tickets And Meet & Greets To EBH2!
- Register To Win Tickets To The ‘Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Circus XTREME’
- ‘Beat My Tweet’ To Win Tickets To See JoJo!
- Let 101.9 AMP Radio ‘Treat You Better’ With 12 Days Of Shawn Mendes
- Play Battle Of The Hoods To Win Tickets To See “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
- Listen To Win Tickets To See Jake Miller
- Win “Jason Bourne’ on Blu-Ray DVD This Weekend Of Winning
- Come Join Chad & Jill For The “Circus” Of Fun At The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye
- Nicki Minaj Celebrates Birthday with Meek Mill in Paradise