The day after the SOPA/PIPA blackout which was supported by many sites on the internet including Wikipedia, file sharing site Megaupload has been shut down by federal prosecutors. And, according to Idolator, the CEO and silent partner of the company, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Swizz Beatz[/lastfm], was not indicted.
The site, which acted as a sort of file sharing locker for large files (many of which violated copyright laws) was charged by the Justice Department with “generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and causing more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners.”
Swizz Beatz was not one of the seven people indicted since he does not actually own a stake in the company.
Beatz, whose real name is Kasseem Dean, was revealed to be the CEO of the file sharing company late last year after a star-studded viral video for the company was released, which also featured [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Kanye West[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Diddy[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Floyd Mayweather[/lastfm], Kim Kardashian, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Chris Brown[/lastfm] and more.
Universal Music Group, who had several artists involved in the video, ended up suing Swizz Beatz and Megaupload. Ironically (or maybe not) Universal Music Group, the Motion Pictures Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America, and several Justice Department sites were reportedly shut down yesterday by a hacker group which goes by the name Anonymous.
What’s new on JAMZ?
- Play ‘What’s In Jill’s Purse?!’ To Win A Massage For Two!
- Beat My Tweet To Win Tickets To See Sabrina Carpenter
- Sail Into The Seven Seas Festival At SeaWorld
- Ja Rule Says Fyre Festival Disaster is not His Fault
- French Montana’s ‘Unforgettable’ Challenge Takes Over The Internet
- Happy National Superhero Day
- Machine Gun Kelly Drops New Track ‘Let You Go’
- Halsey’s ‘Hopeless Fountain Kingdom’ Features Quavo, Lauren Jauregui
- Sean Paul Drops ‘Body’ Video Featuring Migos
- Vin Diesel Performs During Latin Billboard Awards