Ever since the hazing death of FAMU’s drum major Robert Champion. The college fraternity underground world of order has been turned upside down, and now a shocking twist has been revealed.
According to TheRoot.com:
In a shocking new twist in the FAMU scandal, the parents of a student who was beaten to death in November have revealed their son was gay.
Champion’s mother said her son wasn’t defined by his sexual orientation.
“He was just defined as being a child going to school, trying to get an education,” his mother Pam Champion told CBS News.
The family’s attorney, Chris Chestnut, said he spoke to 10 potential witnesses who said that Champion’s sexual orientation and vocal opposition to hazing as the main reasons he was beaten.
“It may or may not have been” his sexual orientation which saw him singled out,” Chestnut told CBS News.
The 26-year-old drum major, Robert Champion Jr., was allegedly pummeled by his band mates on November 19, 2011.
“There’s no way around it. It was wrong,” his mother Pam Champion told CBS News.
While no one has been charged for the crime, police have ruled it a homicide.
The Champions have said they’ll sue Florida A&M, and next week they also intend to sue the band’s charter bus company.
This adds another layer to this case. This murder will now be looked upon as a possible hate crime. This information should have been divulged by the parents two months ago, not now. But they may have kept quiet because of the black Southern community’s often negative attitude toward gays. It will be interesting to see the turn this case takes now.
So now they maybe adding discrimination to the list of charges on these students? Wow!
More stories on JAMZ:
- Beyonce Launches Formation Scholarship
- Drake to Host First-Ever ‘NBA Awards’
- Big Boi Makes Television Debut of ‘Mic Jack’ On ‘Tonight Show’
- Unfiltered Pics Of Kim Kardashian At The Beach
- The One Thing Men Hate To Hear When Approached By Women
- Kendrick Lamar’s ‘DAMN.’ Tracks Flood the ‘Billboard’ Hot 100
- Madonna Biopic ‘Blond Ambition’ Picked up by Universal
- Miley Cyrus Plays New Character in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2’
- Watch Chance the Rapper Perform Kanye West’s ‘Waves’
- Watch Harry Styles Interviewed by Chris Martin, Ed Sheeran, Ronnie Wood