101.9 AMP Radio High School Takeover: Click Here To Register Your School NOW!!!

Fantasia Boycotts GRAMMYs…And Wins!

fantasia385 Fantasia Boycotts GRAMMYs...And Wins!

(Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

[pullquote quote=”I should have been on that stage…” credit=”Fantasia”]After 11 nominations, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Fantasia[/lastfm] finally won her first GRAMMY Sunday night for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance for Bittersweet.  But she wasn’t there to collect the award.  Why?  Turns out she felt slighted for not being included in the [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Aretha Franklin[/lastfm] tribute and decided to just skip the ceremonies all together.

Yesterday, Fantasia called in to BET’s 106 and Park and had this to say about not being included in the tribute to Aretha:

I’m going to be very honest with you. You know I wasn’t at the GRAMMYs last night. I’m kind of going through my own little thing… Last night they were honoring someone who is my idol, Aretha Franklin, and there is no way I could have sat there and not got the happy feet and wanting to jump on the mic because she is my favorite so I felt like, you know, at the end of the day I should have been on that stage so, I kind of did my own little thing last night.

And what did she do instead?  She just stayed home with her daughter and did a little cooking while the awards were on the TV.  And when she actually won?

Actually I scared my daughter because I just bust out and started crying, and she thought something was wrong with me. You know it’s been a long time coming… at the end of the day its been a long time coming for me and I have been through a lot of things so when Brian called me (my manager accepted the award for me), I just bust out started crying because I felt like, man, I wasn’t gonna stop until I got one and I’m still not going to stop and you know this has just given me motivation to do my own thing.

Instead of Fantasia, the Aretha Franklin tribute included [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Christina Aguilera[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jennifer Hudson[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Yolanda Adams[/lastfm], [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Martina McBride[/lastfm] and Florence Welch of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Florence and the Machine[/lastfm].

Vodpod videos no longer available.

[photogallerylink id=35642 align=left]

Comments

1. Melodie says:

This just goes to show you that if we stay in God’s will for our lives, and not feed into our worldly feelings, we will not miss being there for the victory. He always has something greater in store for us, it is what He does and not what the world does.

2. Melodie says:

Prayerfully Fantasia will see that God had something greater for her then performing that night.

3. Stephanie Davis says:

We are to live by faith and not by sight. I know that life can throw some devastating blows our way. But God said in his word that he has given us power and authority over all things. Fantasia, God has blessed you with a gift. Use it to bring him glory and watch how God will open up a window in Heaven and pour you out a blessing you won’t have room enough to recieve

4. anyia says:

Sorry, Fanny you missed your blessing while you was at home whining. Get your self together everyone loves Aretha. I can’t sing and I would have got on that stage.

5. angela says:

It was a SAD tribute to the queen of soul You need a princess like Fantasia to pay a tribute to a queen. Im glad Aretha was at home!

6. jackie jay says:

for me the Grammy’s somewhat have a history of snubbing artist at the wrong time, and in this case the Aretha Franklin tribute was at the wrong time. As far as I’m concern Christina did’nt bring it like Fantasia could have brought it. Florence from Florence and the Machine she can sing but the Aretha tribute was’nt for her the projection of her part was flat not exciting or soulful enough. Martina was ok…Fantasia along with Jennifer, Yolanda would have did the song or songs that it deserved. Grammy’ s try to appease the African American audience by adding us to a line-up to sing a soulful song.Maybe it’s just me to give the Grammy’s the benefit of the doubt, they probably was doing it universal but at least put the right line-up together, the Queen of Soul deserves that.

1. jackie jay says:

with all due respect, what do you mean my comment is awaiting moderation? Can you be a little more specific? I hope that i did’nt sound prejudice, that’s not my intent. I’m just calling the way i see it no disrespect to the Grammy’s or the ladies.